Tanner’s Induction and Birth Story

It took a few years before I could really explain this story in detail. It took years before I truly understood what happened to Tanner and I at Miami Valley Hospital. And once I thought I really understood, I would find out more information that infuriated me!

How do hospitals and obstetricians get away with things like this? Americans are conditioned to trust their doctors, and we should be able to. Even after my the tramatic birth of my son I still went to this OB. I still believed he had my best interest at heart.

4.5 years later, 6 months into my second pregnancy, I requested a copy of my birth record. Mainly to see if there was any information in there that might be beneficial for my midwife. Imagine my suprise to find a report of lies. Below you will find a copy of my birth record, specifically I have copied the report of mine and my sons condition at birth. There are also pictures of Tanner that are graphic in nature. If you chose not to view these photos please stop where I indiciate a warning that photos are below.

The interventions started at about 38 weeks. I was told that I should expect “a big baby”. I had an ultrasound and they told me that the baby was already measuring at 9 lbs. My doctor recommended induction. I had my membranes stripped twice, which did nothing.

At 40 weeks, I was impatient like many pregnant women. The doctors had warned me that my son was measuring quite large (10 lbs). I was 2 cm dilated and had been for 3 weeks. I decided to go ahead with the induction. I showed up Tuesday at 5 pm and was given cervidil to sleep on so that I woke up with a nice soft cervix. That never happened. I didn’t sleep that night, Tanner kept rolling off the monitors and the nurses would not leave me alone. All day Wednesday I was not progressing. They gave me pitocin. They gave me more pitocin, more pitocin, more pitocin. Somewhere in the middle of the pitocin, I was given nubain which made me feel awful. Then more pitocin. Then they stripped my membranes again, because I wasn’t dilating. Eventually I got to 4 cm about 1 pm on Wed. At that point, I received my epidural – which, of course, lead to more pitocin. Sometime afterward, they broke my water. I slept the rest of the day, through the contractions, through everything. I remember being SO thirsty and begging in the nurse for apple juice. She kept telling me you cannot drink while you are in labor because they might have to give you a c-section.

I woke up about 8pm on Wed evening. I was 9cm dilated. The nurse checked me and said she felt that the baby was in an awkward position; specifically she said she thought she felt an ear. I was sent for an ultrasound. My son was “face present” meaning he had locked into my pelvis coming out face first. Face presentation births are pretty rare, but even more rare is the fact that he was coming out lips first. I was told that I would need a C-Section. My worst fear.

My OB/GYN arrived at that time and the nurse told him she was prepping me. I was mortified. Thank God I spent the last 6 months stressing to my Doctor that I was NOT having a C-Section. He told me that I could have a vaginally delivery but I would need to be prepared to have a bruised up baby “Nothing serious, nothing permanent”. My friend was present during my birth that happened to work in the NICU at the hospital. They wanted a NICU nurse present “just in case” so she hand selected two of the best NICU nurses.

I recall asking why this happened and not really getting a good answer, other than “the baby just happened to descend into the birth canal this way.” To be honest the staff did a great job of not alarming me.

I started pushing at 12am Thursday morning. That’s right, Tuesday….Wednesday…. Thursday morning. After 10 minutes of pushing, the nurse flew across the room, hit the emergency button, and I heard my OB cut me, 3 times, snip. snip. snip. (This is contradictory to what my hospital records report) And out came a baby. I didn’t feel my episiotomy, but I heard it. I would argue that hearing your vagina being cut open might be as awful as feeling it. I didn’t see Tanner. I remember looking up to try and see him and seeing my OB cut the cord. I was mad because my mom was supposed to do that. Oh well, too late now. They took him to the other side of the room and in a blink of an eye there were 6 NICU nurses working on my angel. There were so many people and my epidural was wearing off. My OB started stitching me up. It was painful. Stitches were the most painful part of the entire experience. After a few minutes I realized my son wasn’t crying. My mom knew he wasn’t breathing, she saw him, she knew what he looked like, but I didn’t. My mom was trying to find a way to comfort me. She was antipating having to tell her daughter that her first born child just died. She did a great job of keeping me distracted. There was so much chaos. Tanner was resuscitated after 10 minutes and started nursing immediately despite his poor face. He is my angel.

I will never again be induced unless it is medically necessary. Tanner was not BIG. He was 7.6 lbs. He was not overdue. In fact, despite them “measuring me at almost 41 weeks” they think he was 37 weeks gestation. I was in labor for 30 HOURS.

All of the interventions caused further problems.

The doctor told me after that having my water artificially broken resulted in the face presentation, because Tanner descended too quickly. This was during a routine post partum visit. And mentioned quite casually. In 2013 when I mentioned having a home birth he told me that because I had already had a face presentation baby that it would likely happen again. The story changed.

The episiotomy resulted in me having a 4th degree cut with 46 total stitches. Literally the stitches are all the way to my anus. The scar still causes me pain 4 years later.

They cut the cord before Tanner was stable which resulted in them spending 10-15 minutes resuscitating him.

They also put an internal fetal monitor on. In the second picture (below) where he was not as purple you can see the cut in the middle of his forehead from the internal monitor. He also had abrasions on his eyelids where they missed his forehead with the monitor. Had his eyes not been closed they could have very well made him blind because the monitor sliced both lids.

I spent the next week with the most terrible epidural withdraws.

My son almost died from NOTHING OTHER than my decision to let the doctors induce me and a series of piss poor medical interventions.

Here is a copy of relevant information from my birth records. Here you will see that they reported an APGAR score of 8 when Tanner was born. Compare this APGAR score to the first picture below. Are you telling me that this child has an APGAR of 8? (A score of 7, 8, or 9 is normal and is a sign that the newborn is in good health.) While the birth record indicates that a resuscitation team was in attendence, the delivery comments state that once the mouth and nose were suctioned there was a “vigorous cry”. The report also states that my child was born over my “intact perineum”. There is no record here of my 4th degree episiotomy resulting in 46 stitches. And finally “mother and baby both doing well.”

This report was entered at 2:01am, just 27 minutes after my son was born, and just 10 minutes after they were done resusciating him.

Hospital Birth Record

I first read my birth records in July 2013. My son was born in January 2009. I contemplated revisiting my OB and asking why this report did not reflect the accurate story but I am not convinced I would receive any answer worth my visit to his office. I have made the decision to not seek any type of explanation from the OB who delivered my son because I have gotten no where going that route. I am currently expecting our second child in November 2013 with my absolutely wonderful midwife. I will be having a home birth with my second little boy and am hoping that experience leads me to place of healing.

My motivation for creating this blog and story is simply to help other women see the ugly side of inductions and make better decisions.
When you know better, you do better.

The following are pictures of Tanner after his birth. They are somewhat graphic and may disturb some sensitive viewers. However, as they are a real and valid part of this birth, I would like to share them. Please feel free to stop reading now, if you do not want to see the pictures.

Tanner at birth

Tanner hours later

To end this blog on a happy note, here is my handsome little 4.5 year old now =)


16 thoughts on “Tanner’s Induction and Birth Story

  1. Thank you for sharing, i too had an unnecessary induction, and my babys head was bruised and bleeding from the failed ventouse, he is 2.5 now and still has a scar. I fought for a homebirth with my second in the hope i would get some healing as you described. In January this year i had a drug free homebirth, my baby had meconium in the waters and had shoulder dystocia but it was hands down a better experience. I really hope you get your healing birth mama. You can do it! 🙂 xx

  2. Pingback: http://thebirthingsite.com/birthing-assistance/item/701-effects-of-electronic-fetal-monitoring-on-the-baby-and-mother.html - Birth Balance

  3. I was induced as well, because of pre-eclampsia, but it was an awful experience! I wouldn’t wish it on anyone! I should ask for my records, as my daughter was born with a rare disease in which they didn’t even know what it was at the time. Thank you for sharing! Good for you for checking into things!

  4. I hope you find healing in sharing your story. Tanner looks to be a beautiful, happy boy. Congrats on the soon to be new addition. I wish you all the best.

  5. My son was also face up, and after 24 hours of labor they just decided that I was “too small” for his “giant head” (his head was normal sized, by the way) and they decided to do a c-section. I was so tired from lack of food and water (because like you, they didn’t let me eat or drink anything in that 24 hour period) that I couldn’t have pushed even if I wanted to. I probably would have passed out from exhaustion. I wish I had just stayed home when my water broke and labored at home. Luckily, I found an awesome new OB and will tell everyone I know to beware of induction; in most cases, baby is going to be just fine cooking a little longer. Thank you for sharing your story, I hope that it helps other moms who are trying to decide about induction and I am so glad your little boy is alive and healthy!

  6. You are so brave! I admire you for your strength. I hope to have a home birth too. Please update us about your second birth when it happens! 🙂

  7. I had a similar experience. I was induced for IUGR (4 or 5 pound baby they said). He was 7. My induction was the same as yours except I refused the epidural. I snuck out of the labour floor and bought food in the cafe. I refused a c-section and then they placed the internal monitor on, against my wishes, lying that they were doing it. The OB said “just a vaginal check for dilation”. I fought them at every turn. After 48 hoyrs if labour via induction I was ready to push. They OB wanted to have me lie down while he got the vacuum ready. I refused. He pushed me down. While he got the vaccum ready i pulled myself vavk into a squat and lushed him out in one push (he was presenting facing my hip), my hip dislocated. The ob was very angry with me. He left. No one checked on me for 4 hours. They left me with my bruised baby, a dislocated hip while I hemmoraged, I was coveted in blood. 4 hours later someone came to take me to recovery. I beggef for a shower and did my best to shower in a wheel chair till i passed a melon sized clot and passed out. The nurses on that floor put me back together, got me a blood transfusion and helped me with all I needed as I recovered for the next week. I’ve been terrified of hospputals ever since. I nearly died which would have left my boy an orphan.

    Thank you for sharing. North American Women need to question and take back their power. Feminism worries about fair wage….that’s nothing on a continent where woman have let the medical community style Womanhood from us. We rely on them from conception to breastfeeding. We need to take back being Women.

  8. Oh Mama! I’m So sorry your first birth was so chaotic and poor Tanner’s birth photos are so so rough. I’m glad you “woke up” to what birth can be and what it does not have to be. I pray that your next
    birth was a healing one!

  9. I’m super late on finding this but the picture of him with the marks on his forehead and his eyelids horrifies me in a “someone clearly didn’t do their job properly” way. Internal monitors are supposed to go into their skulls up on the top of the head, near the crown, so they can be pulled off during crowning and not present an issue. I am so sorry that you had to through all of this but I’m glad to see he’s happy and healthy!

  10. I just gave birth to my daughter last week, so I am still consumed with all things baby and i happened to come across your blog during one of my many google searches.
    YOU POOR THING and your poor beautiful little baby!!! Your story is just heartbreaking. I am so sorry for what you and your poor little sweetheart had to go through. Thank goodness he is ok today; what a handsome, happy boy!!! I completely agree that so many of these medical interventions are flat out UNNECESSARY and harmful. I HATE pitocin; I am a firm believer that baby will come when he/she is ready. I am so sorry you had to learn that the hard way. Thank you for sharing your story and God Bless You and your beautiful children! xoxo

  11. I was recently induced with the use of Cervadil. I was 35-1/2 weeks pre-eclampsia & carrying twins. At the time of induction I had hit severe levels & had to be delivered. I was continuously monitored by a great medical team & evaluated for a viable vaginal delivery. When it came down to it, the babies heart rates & activity dropped & their monitored activities were no longer responding the way they should. At that time my doctor re-evaluated my ability to deliver vaginally again, she determined that one baby’s head was not quite in the right position & given my severe medical situation, I would need a c-section. I was then prepped for surgery & delivered quickly. Aside from side effects from medication & soreness from surgery my story is not that horrific.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s